Re: Interested in a moderated theory forum?

From: SPeacock <Xpeacock_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:24:44 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" wrote:

> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
> > "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > If the moderators are that ignorant of something so basic, I see no
> value in
> > > the forum. It is far more likely the moderators will censor the helpful
> and
> > > accurate posts than the complete garbage.
> >
> > Moderation is about form, tone and politeness, not content.
> >

> > Marshall

> And oddly enough, in this unmoderated forum, the content is squashed more
> than it would be in a moderated forum by the very unfriendly self-moderating
> approach to deter non-relational theorists from contributing. It does not
> appear that those working with digraphs, OO, XML, or other non-RDBMS data
> models are welcome. Content is restricted to relational as much as possible
> by use of intimidation, name calling, or whatever so that only a stubborn
> Fresian like me would be persistent.
>

> I would MUCH prefer to have an open forum related to database theory where
> those working with a variety of database theories would be welcomed into the
> dialog. The cdt group might better be named
> comp.databases.relational.theory from what I have seen.
>
> --dawn

Well stated. Having spent some time looking at the ideas brought up here, I've noticed usually they are more pounded than pondered, I will agree that this is a RDBMS use group. Which is OK!

It just seems that many who are married to relational do not want to cheat by looking askance at other opportunities.

And Costin Cozianu comments are well put. This may not be the forum to discuss technologies or ideas that solve problems that have plagued other (current) DBMSs.

Moderated forums can be just a more soft way of censure, however. But if anybody is in the Long Beach Ca area and would like to see a different way of serving up a database.. be our guest. Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 01:24:44 CET

Original text of this message