Re: Interested in a moderated theory forum?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:23:23 -0000

"Costin Cozianu" <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bubqf5$g41vu$1_at_ID-152540.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Marshall Spight wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have in the past had excellent experiences with moderated forums.
[snip]
> If you'd like to discuss theory in a moderated forum, you might
> > want to check out:
> >
> > http://www.galahtech.com/forums/index.php?showforum=97
[snip]
> Email forums are bad. Collaborative forums are better, for obvious
> reasons. Ward Cunningham wiki, has had its ups and downs, but still is
> not beyond redeemable.

Agreed.

> It's widely known, it has a dedicated community that has dealt with many
> abusers (by simply deleting the abuse), and it already has a base of
> contributions.
>
> So http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki
>
> Costin
>
> P.S. That forum you mention already kind of sucks.

Agreed

> Make sure you
> calibrate your expectations, no forum is gonna have the desired
> qualities to give you more than a social club, and eventually a few
> hints and points to alternative views. Real knowledge is only produced
> in academic (peer reviewed) settings, in having to deliver software, etc.

Ohh, go on, what's the full list?

Would you say that say this "social club" never produced any knowledge http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0374528888/ ?

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Mon Jan 19 2004 - 19:23:23 CET

Original text of this message