Re: Stored fields ordered left to right

From: Mike Preece <michael_at_preece.net>
Date: 8 Jan 2004 19:06:16 -0800

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:<bsqtva$86$1_at_news.netins.net>...
> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
> > "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
> > > "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message

> position
> issues?!?
> > >
> > > Again, I don't see the physical level being discussed here.
> >
> > If implicit order is not physical, where does it come from?
> >
> <snip>
>
> Just so it is clear, Bob, since you are filtering out my responses anyway,
> Marshall is correct and you are wrong on this one, darlin'
>
> Ordering of values is logically a function (=operator=map=procedure=method)
> from (a subset of) the positive integers to a set of values (and likewise
> ordering of attributes is a function from the positive integers to a set of
> attributes). One can talk about ordering logically if one can talk about
> numbers logically (and most of us can!).
>
> --dawn

Well - that's easy for you to say! ;)

I don't get it - but then, I'm not a mathematician. Make it easy for me, please. Call me an idiot if you like - or let Bob do it. I'd like to learn though.

If I'm following this discussion correctly, you're saying the word "relational", in the generally accepted context of "relational databases", has a different meaning when used in a strictly mathematical context.

The difference has something to do with "ordering". I don't understand. Sorry.

Is it important? and if so, why?

Mike. Received on Fri Jan 09 2004 - 04:06:16 CET

Original text of this message