Re: relations aren't types?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:47:37 -0500

"John Jacob" <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:72f08f6c.0401061034.73b7ba10_at_posting.google.com...
> > > How do I define a new ... type?
> >
> > Using the type definition productions of the language.
>
> You mean the scalar type generator.

Nope. I mean using the productions of the language. No generator is required because expressions involving no generic types or operations cannot generate any new types.

> > > Where
> > > is the ... type generator?
> >
> > Which type generator? There are several.
>
> Yep, and scalar is one of them.

No, sorry, but your assertion is simply incorrect. Specific declared types do not need generators. Generic types and generic operations define generators.

How would the user define a new type generator?

> > > Do we not need user-defined ...
> > > types?
> >
> > Yes, of course. I have never suggested we do not.
>
> Then we need a type generator that is different from the relation and
> tuple type generators.

We need all kinds of type generators, but user-defined types do not require any particular type generator, per se.

> > > If, as you suggest, scalar is not an important type category, then
> > > isn't it an unnecessary complication to include it in the data model?
> >
> > Yes, I suggest it is an unnecessary complication. I think the
proscription
> > against non-relvar global variables suffices without the scalar
verbiage.

> There *are* values that are not relation or tuple values. What should
> we call these kind of values? Hey, how bout scalar.

How about values? I think it absurd to consider array scalar and tuple non-scalar.

> > > So I'll ask you once again, What does a relational language that does
> > > not differentiate between scalar types and relation types look like?
> >
> > Like any relational language.
>
> Sort of like Tutorial D, with a scalar type generator.

Tutorial D creates an artifice in its grammar to account for the requirement that global variables must be relation variables. I suggest using "scalar" in the name of the production was a poor choice that only confuses issues. Received on Thu Jan 08 2004 - 04:47:37 CET

Original text of this message