Re: Domain

From: Peter Koch Larsen <pkl_at_mailme.dk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:29:55 +0100

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> skrev i en meddelelse news:X6ednQoP0Pvbb2qiRVn-tA_at_golden.net...
> "Peter Koch Larsen" <pkl_at_mailme.dk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> > > "Adrian Kubala" <adrian_at_sixfingeredman.net> wrote in message

> > > Month is a derivable value from any date value. Since values have no
> > > locations, a current position within a value is an absurdity.

> > > Since there are no non-scalar types, I have difficulty finding any
> meaning
> > > in your question.
> > >

> > What about "what is the value of the fourth character in the last name"?

> What about it? Are you suggesting strings are non-scalar? What about the
> third bit in the integer?

What I meant was that whether or not a value is scalar or not is open to discussion. And from that point a view, an integer (everything but a boolean, actually) could be seen as a nonscalar value. It is interesting that some textbooks seem to disallow arrays in relations (I believe i saw that in older versions of "Introduction to database management systems" by Date - sixth edition, probably) and yet allow strings which basically are just array of char.

A more interesting distinction could be between whether values are finite - leaving room for fixedsize strings and limited precision integers/floating point values.

Kind regards
Peter Received on Mon Jan 05 2004 - 12:29:55 CET

Original text of this message