Re: relations aren't types?

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 3 Jan 2004 06:15:41 -0800

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:<Pr6dnf10XP1_8WuiRVn-tw_at_golden.net>...

> > > Since these are types with values and operations, how exactly do they
> differ
> > > from scalar types?
> >
> > They have components, or user visible components if you prefer.
>
> You mean they have possible representations just like any other values.

No, the contrary. I mean they have visible "structure", but not possible representations.

What are the possible representations of a relation value?

I don't mean pictorial representations, of course. A table could be a pictorial representation of a relation, but it is not the same sense as in possible representation.

Natural language is confusing.

> > Scalar types does not have components, they have representations, and
> > each representation may have several components or not.
>
> Since one representation of an integer is an array of bits, I guess that
> means integers are not scalar. Right?

They are scalars because they may have different representations.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sat Jan 03 2004 - 15:15:41 CET

Original text of this message