Re: Stored fields ordered left to right

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:54:35 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:ON6dnTDvsbMQAHOiRVn-hg_at_golden.net...

> Mathematical relations do not rely on attribute order. The physical
> representation of mathematical relations using written symbols on planar
> surfaces conventionally uses attribute order for succinctness.

This doesn't seem correct to me.

Consider the union of two sets of ordered pairs:

{ (1,2) }
union
{ (2,1) }

The union of those sets is a set with two elements, yes? How are we distinguishing between (1,2) and (2,1) if not by order? Is there some hidden information?

Marshall Received on Sun Dec 28 2003 - 23:54:35 CET

Original text of this message