A little ERD help?

From: Nolan <nolo_2_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2003 14:03:09 -0800

I am creating a database to keep track of various vendors and their products.
No problem there. Each product has multiple parts however, AND, each product has one or more 'twin' products that may be sold by another vendor (with a different name), so not only are the products the same, but the parts for each are as well. The problem lies in that none of the names are the same.

For example:
3 IDENTICAL guitars may be sold by:
Yamaha (id=Y_12546)
Cort (id=Co_5x61)
Ferguson(id=ferg54)

Bridges for each guitar are IDENTICAL, yet named differently: Yamaha (id=Y_b12456)
Cort (id=CoBr_5x61)
Ferguson(id=BRferg54)

What is the best way to go about creating / linking these in tables?

Tbl_Vendors
Vendor_ID

Tbl_Products
Product_ID

Tbl_Parts
Part_ID

Not only do I need to identify which part is for which product, but I need to identify duplicate or 'twin' (or more) parts AND products.... So a 'BRferg54' could be substituted for a CoBr_5x61 or a Y_b12456...

Any ideas?

TIA - Nolan Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 23:03:09 CET

Original text of this message