Re: Is ORM still live ???

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:00:10 -0500

"Scot Becker" <newsgroups_at_orthogonalsoftware.com> wrote in message news:Ze2dnTVQY_hM0iOiRVn-uw_at_comcast.com...
> > 3)
> > ORM is "sponsored by Microsoft" and a lot of people don't like MS
>
> I'm not sure I'd let popularity decide how I engineer systems. Tools are
> largely irrelevant in my opinion. Good engineers can make good designs and
> express them by chiseling them on rocks or interpretive dance. It is how
you
> think about the problem and how you communicate with the business users
that
> matters.
>
> I'm not sure about dates, but I think most ORM research predates the
> existence of Microsoft so number 3 is specious. At the risk of being
cynical
> and with tongue planted in cheek, the fact that a lot of people do one
> particular thing is usually a good reason to do the opposite.

Terry Halpin invented ORM. I believe Visio acquired his company and then Microsoft acquired Visio thereby inheriting Dr. Halpin.

One always runs the risk of interfering with thought when one adopts a graphical method. Of the graphical methods I have examined, ORM minimizes this risk. Received on Fri Nov 21 2003 - 20:00:10 CET

Original text of this message