Re: Is relational theory irrelevant?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:33:13 -0800

"Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message news:bpdpuh$1v88$1_at_gazette.almaden.ibm.com...
> > Next, what is the fact that you describe in your query? That's a set of
> > folks that you want to target with your mail campain, right? Therefore,
> your
> > query fetches the result set of target emails, and your client program
> opens
> > the cursor and iterates through it and invokes sendmail at each step.
>
> > Where is the problem?
>
> Sniped in and bold added:
>
> your *client program* opens the *cursor* and *iterates*

I don't understand your comment. Can my client program do better than that? AFAIK, there is no set interface that database can connect to the outside procedural world. Or, by emphasising *client program* you suggest that we don't need it?

Sending email is an action outside the database environment, so that we have to leave DBMS boundary. I know, mindless throwing stuff into the database is pretty popular today, but there is no advantage triggering this real-world action from the inside of the database. Received on Tue Nov 18 2003 - 20:33:13 CET

Original text of this message