Re: Database-valued attributes?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:06:07 -0000

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:NqydnbqEFO6qei-iRVn-tw_at_golden.net...
> "Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message
> > "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
> > > "Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message
> or

> like
> an
> > >
> > > Physical independence is not a dereliction.
> >
> > One of us in the group said
> >
> > "I doubt Dijkstra would consider a division between applications and
data
> > management appropriate. I know he expressed skepticism regarding the
> > division into conceptual, logical and physical."
> >
> > Has anyone got the quote? I think I share some of his skepticism...

> As I recall, it was in one of his trip reports, but I could not find
> anything by searching so I assume that one has not been transcribed yet.

Maybe the above was inspired by his comments in 1976 on "Database Technology" in this trip report

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd05xx/EWD577.PDF

His list of "crazy expressions" does include   "logical abstractions"
  "mapping of one level of abstraction into the layer below"
etc

So I guess one could read that as skepticism regarding the division into conceptual, logical and physical.

However I think I saw another quote somewhere in which he questioned the idea that the 'physical' was not also 'logical'. I.e is 'physical' therefore 'illogical' ?

At the least, I'm not a big fan of the terminology we use. What does the word logical, in the context of "logical model" really mean?

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Thu Nov 13 2003 - 13:06:07 CET

Original text of this message