Re: Is relational theory irrelevant? (was Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL)

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:31:50 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:VaWdndbrNqgr0y-iRVn-jg_at_golden.net...

> Relations have no order. The values in relations have order. An ordered
> structure, like an array for instance, involves physical order.

Why? Why can't you have logical order?

In fact, this is closer to what I understand of order in the math textbooks I read. An ordered relation is a pair:

(relation, ordering function)

How is that physical?

In fact, the same relation can participate in many orderings.

Marshall Received on Wed Nov 12 2003 - 17:31:50 CET

Original text of this message