Re: Semantic Data Dissonance

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.net>
Date: 10 Nov 2003 20:58:23 -0800

a_thesis_at_yahoo.com (researcher) wrote in message news:<31acb67d.0311101031.3ce24152_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently pursing research in databases on a subject called data
> dissonance. Typically data dissonance is of two types: Semantic and
> Structural. Example of Semantic dissonance could be one application
> may define an employee as current employees only whereas another
> application define an employee as current or former employees. Example
> of Structural dissonance could be one application's employee could be
> another application's serf. I have searched a lot and haven't found
> any white papers or articles that talk about this problem in detail.
>
> I would really appreciate any pointers or help, thanks in advance.

a_thesis,

Semantic data dissonance is quite the colorful term for heterogeneity, which has previously been categorized as either "semantic" or "structural". Hmmmmm.

Just about any formal publication on heterogeneous databases, multi-databases, data integration, and heterogeneity itself might get you started in the right direction.

To get you started, here are a few papers that are probably related:

Harder, T. Sauter, G., & Thomas J. (1999) The Intrinsic problems of structural heterogeneity and an approach to their solution. The VLDB Journal (8): 25-43.

Drew, R., King, R., McLeod, D. & et al. (1993) Report of the Workshop on Semantic Hetergeneity and interoperation in multidatabase systems. SIGMOD Record 22(3): 47-56

Sheth A. & Larson J. (1990) Federated Database Systems for Managing Distributed, Heterogeneous, and Autonomous Databases. Database Computing Survey 22(3): 183-236.

  • Dan