Re: OOP - a question about database access

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2003 10:56:11 -0800

Alain Javier Guarnieri del Gesu <nntp_at_ajgdg.com> wrote in message news:<slrnbqr852.bf4.nntp_at_ajgdg.com.invalid>...
> * Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>:
> > Personally, I do not hang out in comp.object. Having long ago
> > mastered the technology, I find comp.object infertile ground and a
> > waste of time. I foresee no important advances there given the
> > primitiveness of the computational model and the distinct lack of
> > advances in past decades. You only see my posts because this
> > thread is cross-posted to comp.databases.theory, where I see very
> > fertile ground.
>
> Coming in to the thread a little late, but, do you feel that OO is
> infertile and a waste of time for developing, say windowing
> environments, or a web server? It seems to me that is is a useful
> disicpline for certian applications. I've always found the Person ->
> Employee -> SalariedEmployee example to be contrived, but I don't
> see how one goes about game programming in relational algebra.

Gaming programming would certainly benefit if we know how to apply relational to general purpose programming.

"Find all the workers that were idle in the last turn"

"Rank each civilization on the basis of the average scientific progress per turn"

"How many enemy solders are within 1 mile"

"Calculate the weighted enemy strength in NW sector"

Admittedly, the above queries apply more to Strategy Games than to First person shooters. Spatial problems in 3D Gaming today involve 3D graphics methods, not spatial/constraint database ones. But this is just an indication how immature the field is. Received on Sun Nov 09 2003 - 19:56:11 CET

Original text of this message