Re: OOP - a question about database access

From: Uncle Bob (Robert C. Martin) <"Uncle>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:28:16 -0600

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> might (or might not) have written this on (or about) Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:07:48 -0500, :

>"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message
>> "Uncle Bob (Robert C. Martin)" <u.n.c.l.e.b.o.b_at_objectmentor.com> wrote in
>message news:<ig2lqvsfbjjhcniov8lskbdpogkd2oagvb_at_4ax.com>...

>> > This might be true if the database application does absolutely not
>> > processing of the data. If there are no business rules, and the
>> > system does nothing more than add, display, modify, and delete
>> > records, then having entity objects may not be very useful. On the
>> > other hand, as soon as you add any business rules, such as field
>> > validation, or summary reporting, etc. you need a way to separate
>> > those rules from the database. That's one very useful application for
>> > OO.
>>
>> What a pearl!
>>
>> Sorry for the crossposting again, but I find things like this
>> interesting in order to understand the current state of the IT
>> industry.
>>
>> If recognized OO writers show this "understanding" of the data
>> management issues, imagine the rest.
>
>Yep, it's widespread and piled high.

That's "Piled Higher and Deeper" i.e. PHD.

Anyway I now see the reason for all this rude angst. These articles are cross posted to "databases.theory". No wonder!

Robert C. Martin    | "Uncle Bob"
Object Mentor Inc.  | unclebob _at_ objectmentor . com
501 N. Riverside Dr.| Tel: (800) 338-6716
Suite 206           | Fax: (847) 775-8174           | www.objectmentor.com
Gurnee, IL,         | Training and Mentoring        | www.junit.org
60031               | OO, XP, Agile, C++, Java, C#  | http://fitnesse.org