Re: OOP - a question about database access

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:02:41 -0500

"Steve Haigh" <steve_a_haigh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ae-dnWI2betNITaiRVn-tg_at_giganews.com...
> Bob Badour wrote:
>
> >>The above comments from Bob do not have any relation to "data management
> >>issues". Why would a database be a good place to validate text from an
> >>input field
> >
> > Because managing integrity is managing data. Duh!
> So you can catch a data entry error in the GUI but you would rather wait
> until a write to the DB fails?

Where did I say that?

[straw man deconstruction snipped]

> >>, wouldn't it make everyone's life a lot easier if data were
> >>validated before making a write to a DB?
> >

> > Since the dbms must enforce the integrity of the data anyway, it would
not
> > make any difference to anyone's life.
> Rubbish. It makes a difference to the user to see his or her data
> validated quickly in the GUI

Who says the dbms cannot validate the data quickly on the user's computer?

[more straw man deconstruction snipped]

> >>I have found that business
> >>rules are easier to code in a language like Java or C++ rather than
> >>through the use of constraints and queries.
> >
> > You are joking, right?
> No, why would I be?

Because the original statement was hilariously, ridiculously stupid, and I just gave you the benefit of the doubt. Sorry, my bad. I won't do it again. Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 18:02:41 CET

Original text of this message