Re: OOP - a question about database access

From: HungryLion <hungrylion2002_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 5 Nov 2003 15:45:16 -0800

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:<ocWdnYBXE738kTSiRVn-sA_at_golden.net>...
> "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message
> >
> > The his approach consists basically in managing data in the
> > applications using main memory network data structures, and the
> > creation of a common interface to several file management systems in
> > order to make persistent the main memory data structures.
> >
> > He consideres SQL DBMSes, OODBMSes, XML file managers and OS file
> > managers as basically the same: file managers! (or persistence
> > mechanisms in his ill terminology).
> >
> > The automation he wants to provide is that a single procedure must
> > store the main memory data structures in: a SQL Database, a binary
> > file, an XML file, etc.
> >
> > This incredible nonsense is very spreaded. There are hundreds of
> > thousands of people "working" in this way, and book stores are plenty
> > of junk books that preach this nonsense.
> >
> > IMO it is one of the biggest problems of the IT industry in our days.
>
> The problem exists at a lower level. Fabian is right that the problem lies
> in widespread ignorance of fundamentals. Instead of correctly identifying
> that commercial dbmses need to provide greater data independence, the
> ignorant conclude one must have another 'layer' to whitewash the vendors'
> deficiencies. The problem with whitewash is the deficiencies still show
> through.

Bob, what about the data that isn't managed by a relational oops meant to say sql dbms? Maybe thats the motivation for another 'layer'.

Fabian is crapping his pants because certain entities lusting for power and riches wish to deemphasize the sql dbms into a dumb store over time and eventually eliminate it altogether. With the internet moving emphasis away from the desktop and back to the traditional areas of power (IBM, Oracle) are Microsoft with .NET and Sun with Java (who is trying to reinvent itself as a software company) "working" in this way? This, with the Wal-Marting of IT (various vendors offering bits and pieces at high cost replaced by the above mentioned). Interestingly, Stroustrup (whose C++ empire is also threatened) spews the same message as Fabian...its all because of uneducated ignorants seeking security in the throes of big corporate machines. Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 00:45:16 CET

Original text of this message