Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Mike Preece <michael_at_preece.net>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 17:57:06 -0800

michael_at_preece.net (Mike Preece) wrote in message news:<1b0b566c.0311022016.80f88d5_at_posting.google.com>... [snip]
> Items can be accessed in various ways, including:
> ¨ Direct hashed access, using the item-id and the base address and
> number of groups in the file to identify the particular group, and
> then via sequential search within the linked-frames that make up the
> group;
> ¨ Sequentially in the hashing sequence;

Actually, having thought about this some more, I should have stopped there. Accessing the items in files can only be done in the above two ways. Other methods might appear to be different but it all boils down to just the above two really. If you use an index or a (sorted or saved) list then each item in the list is accessed using direct hashing. If you use a data-abstraction-layer then the actual data is accessed by direct hashing (or possibly sequentially). Received on Tue Nov 04 2003 - 02:57:06 CET

Original text of this message