Re: Introducing PlayDB (The Model, The Language, The DBMS)

From: Jeffrey Williams <jeff_williams_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:06:10 GMT

Juergen,

Since I have been working with Mumps now for quite a while (> 10 years) I can agree with you. Standard implementations of Mumps (e.g. DSM, MSM, DTM, GT.M, etc...) are as you describe.

But, I have to say that although Mumps itself does not have objects - this does not prevent you from using either Intersystems Cache or ESI Objects as the DBMS layered on top of Mumps. Cache and ESI Objects both provide Object access to a Mumps global.

In fact - if you have not looked at Cache, you might be surprised at the capabilities of this system. Using this system, you can now provide both Object and SQL access to your database quite easily. It is - IMHO, worth looking at...