Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Mike Preece <michael_at_preece.net>
Date: 1 Nov 2003 22:00:56 -0800

byrmol <member27348_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3544735.1067594390_at_dbforums.com>... [snip]
> The word "model" seems to have lost all meaning. Could some one
> please provide the 3 components of MV/PICK that satisfy the requirements
> for a data mdoel?
> * Structure
> * Integrity
> * Manipulation

A fair question. Would you like a full definition of the Pick model now then? Only, it's Sunday afternoon here and I've got a roast in the oven...

Basically:
* Structure:
All data in D3 is stored as items within files. Items within these files are divided into sets called attributes which contain one, multiple, or no values.
* Integrity
Can be enforced in multitudinous ways. It is perhaps worth noting that much of what is elsewhere called "data integrity" falls (quite rightly imo) under the heading of "input validation" in Pick applications that run wholly or partly within the DBMS. Pick has full ACID compliance for transaction handling btw.
* Manipulation
What is there to say? You read, write & delete data as you need to - and you need to do much less of it in Pick than with any of the attempts to implement the relational model.

If you want, as I suspect you might, more in-depth answers then can you point me to a definition of a model with these sub-headings that I can use as a kind of template?

Regards
Mike. Received on Sun Nov 02 2003 - 07:00:56 CET

Original text of this message