Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:08:36 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:bns9au$mkm$1_at_mantis.golden.net...

> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
> > "Tony Gravagno" <g6q3x9lu53001_at_sneakemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > > A relational
> > > DBA can make the same mistake of improper definition as a MV coder can
> > > in his app code. In both cases the error would be caught and fixed
> > > immediately.
> >
> > Agreed. (Although perhaps "immediately" is a bit optimistic. :-)
>
> I disagree. A DBA's application error has no ability to subvert the declared
> integrity constraints.

Hmmm. I was under the impression we were comparing a DBA's constraints with a programmer's apps. It is certainly possible for a DBA to make an error in writing constraints. In practice, though, the increased complexity of application code coupled with the gulf in the level of abstraction between declarative integrity constraints and imperative code attempting to do the same job, makes applications the worst choice for enforcing integrity.

Marshall Received on Fri Oct 31 2003 - 08:08:36 CET

Original text of this message