Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:28:08 +0000

In article <CUYmb.86063$Ms2.64480_at_fed1read03>, daveb <davebest_at_SuPsAaM.net> writes
>"Ross Ferris" <ross_at_stamina.com.au> wrote in message
>> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
>> > The values in a foreign key reference are redundant because they appear
>in
>> > multiple relations. In this case, the redundancy is appropriate and
>> > necessary to represent the data.
>>
>> Interesting "admission", or at least an observation. Of course this
>> redundancy is ONLY necessary because of the "flat earth" nature of SQL
>> implementations.
>>
>> If the data were stored in a multi-valued database, or even an XML
>> data store, then the redundant data could be removed.
>
>No, you have merely encoded the redundancy in the structural relationship.

Where? There is no key (foreign or otherwise) with which to do the link, because there is no need to do a link.

So yes there is a structural relationship, but there is no redundancy because no information is stored - it is IMplicit in the data store, not EXplicit.

Cheers,
Wol

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett