Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: andrewst <member14183_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:30:42 -0500

Originally posted by Mike Preece

> andrewst <member14183_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message

> > Originally posted by Mike Preece

> > > In both scenarios we have a many:many relation - but they're
> not

> > > equivalent. Can you describe a scenario in which it would be
> equally

> > > as important to get one part of a many:many relation as the
> other?

> > Yes, I agree that people and phones is not a "well balanced"
> example.

> > Though it's worth pointing out that since the relational model
> avoids

> > making such a value judgement, if it transpires that in the
> future we

> > are very interested in a phone-centric view of the data, our
> database

> > design is not biased against it.

> Interesting way of putting it. The Pick model itself allows

> optimisation in the database design according to the importance placed

> on relationships between various data by the user - and is itself

> flexible enough to be easily adaptable to changing requirements,

> whereas the relational take on it is that it ain't exactly perfect but

> it's near as needs be and it'll be near as needs be forever more

> regardless of the requirements so long as the data stays essentially

> the same.

> I think this might be an important point and one that is easily

> overlooked. Each requirement must be treated on its merits. If the

> requirements change in future then the system must be adaptable to

> those changing requirements. Downunder, where I'm from, there used to

> be a "She'll be right!" mentality - still is to a degree. If the tool

> wasn't quite right for the job, or a job wasn't done strictly

> according to requirements - near enough was good enough. "Who cares?

> if it gets the job done? Might not be spot on but near enough's good

> enough!". Is that the mentality we, as database "experts" should be

> adopting?

> Mike.

I don't agree with your analysis of the relational approach. The relational approach to storing the data is not sub-optimal or "near as needs be". rather it is "as good as it is possible to be". If you want to optimize for access via a specific path, you can add appropriate indexes, or even physically cluster the data. That happens at the physical level, without altering the logical database design and therefore without requiring ANY changes to applications that use the data - not a single change, not even a recompile. Relational purists may be accused of many things, but settling for less than perfection is not one of them!

I am not claiming that Pick is bad, I'm sure it is perfectly capable of supporting robust and well-performing databases. But I do believe that the relational model is built on a better foundation, and should be the bedrock of future DBMS development.