Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:38:06 +0200

Marshall Spight wrote:

>>That is the main problem of centralizing the constraints; you would have
>>no user-feedback until submit of the entire dataset, which is both
>>frustrating and counter-productive, and, in fact probably unacceptable
>>to users
>>

>I wouldn't say this is a consequence of centralizing the constraints
>per se; I'd more say it's a consequence of the separation between
>the application language and the database. If the application language
>had a way to retrieve the constraints from the db as easily as it
>retrieves any other kind of resultset data, and test them in client code,
>this issue wouldn't come up. (Say, *there's* an idea!)

Exactly this feature has been implemented in a product called Dataphor. It figures out which which
constraints can be enforced without access to database data and "moves" them to the client.

Of course they remain in the database also, so if you use some other way to access the database
you still can't bypass the constraints.

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 09:38:06 CET

Original text of this message