Re: How would you approach this?

From: Bruce <brennie_at_dcsi.net.au>
Date: 27 Oct 2003 13:28:38 -0800

michael_at_preece.net (Mike Preece) wrote in message news:<1b0b566c.0310262153.368b9462_at_posting.google.com>...
> brennie_at_dcsi.net.au (Bruce) wrote in message news:<64ea97cf.0310261908.51048256_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Interesting problem you have created.
>
> I must confess I'm a little disappointed that you weren't able to
> begin to tackle it.

Michael,

I have spent too many years solving non-useful problems to look at one that is going to be even less useful to me or anyone else. I have more than enough projects to work on as it is. Some of them with good commercial possibilities.

Even as a test example of what you are trying to do - this problem is nowhere near defined to give a valid test. It becomes far too easy for various individuals to point the finger - there is enough of this going on as it is.

If you really want a responce that will give a good discussion framework then I suggest that you create a fair dinkum challange (take a leaf out of the ICFP programming contest that is being held each year). A simple problem with a specific result that can be tested. It will take some work on your part and it should give the various factions out there a valid meaty challenge to solve.

The ICFP contest get individuals and groups from alls sorts of programming backgrounds to be involved. Maybe you can get this sponsored by one of the databasing conferences - it is up to you.

regards

Bruce
from God's Own Land Downunder Received on Mon Oct 27 2003 - 22:28:38 CET

Original text of this message