Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:04:02 +0000

In article <$xpsVWAvnCn$Ew5r_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>, Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Really, however you calculate it, it is an order of magnitude less
>>than your alternative.
>>
>>And please don't tell me that using indexes is not fair or not in the
>>spirit of the
>>relational model ;-)
>
>Well, it does result in data being stored multiple times ;-)
>
>And while it maybe doesn't affect the result that much, you wanted the
>value? Where has that come from? What if the price changed half way
>through the period you're calculating? :-) You've failed to answer your
>own question, so maybe I could match you ...

Whoops - sorry - I did notice after I wrote this that you included price in your index. But it does seem strange indexing on a composite field like that ...

Cheers,
Wol

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett