Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:16:33 +0000

In article <bn70g5$tk1e1$1_at_ID-152540.news.uni-berlin.de>, Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> writes
>Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
>> In article <bn4ri6$rscgq$1_at_ID-152540.news.uni-berlin.de>, Costin Cozianu
>> <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> writes
>>
>>>Without a scientific work describing what the features are, what are the
>>>integrity consttraints, expressive power, is it relationally complete, is the
>>>language declarative, etc, etc, I'm sorry but I can only disregard your model
>as
>>>a matter of principle, just the same that we have to disregard anybody who
>>>claims that he has a perpetuum mobile, or he has a valid pyramidal scheme.
>>

>> So we have to disregard relational as a matter of principle, too :-)
>>
>> Relational has NOTHING to do with Science, and everything to do with
>> maths.
>>
>> Please tell me how I can predict the future using the relational model -
>> please ... that way relational can be proved false, and that way
>> relational can be proved scientific. Without that, relational is
>> provably UNscientific.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wol
>
>Oh, but you're probably adhering to a popperistic definition of science.
>
>I'm sorry, but Popper is for weenies; real men do Mathematics.

Ahhh. So you live in an Ivory Tower Matrix. If that's where you want to live, fine, but I live in the real world.

Do you mind if I ask you a question? How would YOU show that your mathematical model was actually RELEVANT to the real world, other than by predicting something and putting your reputation at stake?

Maths is fine, but Physics has yet to come up with any mathematical model that actually agrees with the real world.

After all, aren't even Quantum Mechanics and Relativity both very successful, but both prove that the other is false?

Cheers,
Wol

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett