Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Mark Brown <mbrown_at_drexelmgt.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:51:28 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:U8-dnXLiW7DE5geiU-KYgw_at_golden.net...
> In my experience, Pickies lack the cognitive ability to recognize the
> logical changes even after someone points them out to them. They write the
> query, congratulate themselves on how easy and natural it was, and totally
> ignore whether the query asks the correct question. This does not give me
> much confidence in the pick based systems out there.

Wait a second. I described a totally screwed up SQL query as evidence that even well-designed relational databases can be abused by people who don't know how to use it and you slapped me silly. Now you're saying you don't have any confidence in Pick because it's USERS don't know how to use it.

Why not admit once an for all that relational dbs are relational, Pick is not; you can get good fast results from either if you know what you're doing and you can get lousy results if you don't. Tools are tools. The best hammer in the world won't make you a good carpenter; the best carpenter in the world can't work with lousy tools. The best workmen do the best they can with the tools they have and don't spend time crying and wishing for better.

And the really good one's don't criticize the others, they try to help.

Mark Brown Received on Sat Oct 25 2003 - 20:51:28 CEST

Original text of this message