Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:26:44 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:0c6cnW994f01HgeiXTWJkQ_at_golden.net...

> > BTW, normalization is the process of removing redundancy
> > from a schema. A fully-normalized schema is said to have
> > no redundancy, not be fully two dimensional.
>
> A fully-normalized schema can have considerable redundancy. It just has no
> redundancy that one can remove with lossless decomposition using project.

Hmmm. The fact that I don't completely understand that leads me pretty strongly to believe that I don't understand normalization well enough. Does this imply that there is redundancy that can be losslessly removed using operations besides project? (Otherwise, I don't see how there can be a claim of redundancy.) What might those operations be?

If you have further suggested reading, I would appreciate it. I'll also be on the lookout myself.

Marshall Received on Sat Oct 25 2003 - 18:26:44 CEST

Original text of this message