Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:49:16 -0400

> > Paul, there are reasons I observed long ago that Dawn is an idiot. Dawn
> > substitutes irrational emotive criteria for rational objective criteria.
One
> > can measure and quantify simplicity and complexity. Feeling plays no
part in
> > forming a valid conclusion.
>

> Every human uses a combination of emotion and rational thought
> all contexts. True, the percentage will be different from person
> to person, but the mix is there, always.
>
> (I recognize that I have not substantiated this claim in any way.)
>
> For myself, I find it extremely useful and clarifying to debate
> with people who hold different views than myself. This is
> the essential reason I'm on Usenet: to learn through exposure
> to new ideas, and debates thereon.

Let me know when Dawn or Mike expresses a new idea.

> I happen to believe, with some degree of education, that
> the relational model is superior to the MV model. Of course,
> I don't know all that much about the MV model, so my
> ability to compare the two is limited. By engaging in
> this debate, one of three things will happen:
>
> 1) I will discover that the MV model is superior to
> the relational model, for some measure of superiority.
> 2) I will discover that they each have areas of strength
> and weakness.
> 3) I will be able to learn exactly and precisely what
> weaknesses the MV model has relative to the relational
> model, deepening my understanding and apprecation
> for relational.
>
> Now, I have a strong guess as to which one it will be,
> but no matter what, I'm going to learn. In this exchange,
> I can't lose!

It's a question of cost and benefit. I suggest you can get the same intellectual benefit for much less effort. However, if you find the exchange entertaining or otherwise psychologically rewarding, that may offset the added cost. Received on Sat Oct 25 2003 - 15:49:16 CEST

Original text of this message