Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: mikepreece <member31023_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:37:03 -0400

Originally posted by Mikito Harakiri

> "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message

> :l72mb.4070$wc3.1528_at_newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net[/url]...

> > Dear Mikito,

> > I think you owe Mike an apology.

> I apologyse. It was rude to criticize the level of your sweet
> character

> coding discussion.

> > If you want to discuss the wisdom of using those markers, you
> might

> > ask how an MV database stores Turkish names which use the y-
> umlaut

> > character, because that is coded as 0xFF or 255 in the ISO Latin-
> 1

> > character set. And similarly for the other mark bytes. That
> advances

> > the discussion constructively and makes use (rather than abuse)
> of the

> > bandwidth - of both the Internet and the people reading this
> group.

> I'm sorry, but this idea obvious to anybody who heard the word
> "unicode".

Ummm... Thanks. Your apology is valued as sweet fresh air.

I haven't had to use Unicode. I know there are regular contributors to comp.databases.pick from Russia, Poland and many other countries who would be more knowledgeable on that score.

I have written stuff in PickBasic that works with binary files - on the host OS, Samba shares, web-server - that kind of thing, but obviously we're not talking about Pick data there. You can also store binary data within the Pick database - PickBasic object code for example - but, again, it's 'flagged' as binary and, as such, it's not strictly speaking Pick data.

I did a contract for Ford Motors a long time ago (c. '85) where they had a requirement for technicians and designers in various countries in Europe (UK, Portugal, Turkey, Germany, France & Switzerland iirc) to be able to enter data through dumb-terminal green screens which displayed and accepted technical data and descriptions in their own language which, as soon as it had been written to the database, was able to be viewed by a colleague in another country in his/her language. I cut the text-translation program code from prepared specifications. To be quite honest with you I can't remember the details now. It was on a Prime Information system. There were rules held on the database about which constructs applied to the different languages and the constituent parts of each phrase were held separately with each 'phrase' being put together according to the rules applicable for a language. (Maybe I should reconstruct that last sentence?)

Regards

Mike.