Re: Representing data on disk in an MV database - was Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Mark Brown <mbrown_at_drexelmgt.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:04:03 GMT

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> wrote in message news:Dlcmb.20$A85.36_at_news.oracle.com...

> "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Dear Mikito,
> >
> > I think you owe Mike an apology.
>
> I apologyse. It was rude to criticize the level of your sweet character
> coding discussion.
>
> > If you want to discuss the wisdom of using those markers, you might
> > ask how an MV database stores Turkish names which use the y-umlaut
> > character, because that is coded as 0xFF or 255 in the ISO Latin-1
> > character set. And similarly for the other mark bytes. That advances
> > the discussion constructively and makes use (rather than abuse) of the
> > bandwidth - of both the Internet and the people reading this group.
>
> I'm sorry, but this idea obvious to anybody who heard the word "unicode".

Ah, yes. Unicode. How to double to size of you database instantly.

Well, it's pretty obvious now. But 30 years ago we had to live without a lot of the important things we take for granted today: bottled water, virus-spam, telemarketing. It was tough living with only one long distance service and no cable TV, only two political parties and languages like COBOL. Mark Received on Fri Oct 24 2003 - 19:04:03 CEST

Original text of this message