Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:08:59 +0100

"Anthony W. Youngman" <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:T1ljmMCJ9ul$EwsP_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...
> EXCEPT this was an ACADEMIC study, not a MARKETING study, and as I
> understand it, the researchers were surprised by the result.
>
> They picked a bunch of large companies with the idea of calculating db
> spend as a proportion of turnover. No bias there. They plotted those two
> figures, and were surprised to get a double peak. No bias there, either.
>
> When they investigated this unusual phenomenon, they discovered the low-
> spending peak was almost entirely Pick-based dbs, the high-spending peak
> was relational.

What did they expect? If Pick was as expensive to run as Oracle, then nobody in their right mind would run it.

I.e. It's market niche is low cost and low functionality.

Or are you saying that it is as *functional* as an Oracle or DB2, and the only reason that it has not taken over the world is that old war horse: 'poor marketing' ?!

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 16:08:59 CEST

Original text of this message