Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 03:19:38 -0700

Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bn70g5$tk1e1$1_at_ID-152540.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> Oh, but you're probably adhering to a popperistic definition of science.

The word "science" has many meanings, and maths matches with some of the definitions, but not with the primary definition.

1 The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.  b Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.  c Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study. 2 Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science.
3 An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing.
4 Knowledge, especially that gained through experience. 5 Science Christian Science.

www.dictionary.com

Many scientists think that the meaning should be restricted to positivist science and it should not be used for maths, "the science of purchasing" or "Christian Science".

> I'm sorry, but Popper is for weenies; real men do Mathematics.

You can't know anything about the real world if you only do maths. The contrary was one of the greatest Aristotle mistakes.

Without Aristotle perhaps we would be living in the Star Trek world :-)

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 12:19:38 CEST

Original text of this message