Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:10:13 GMT

"Mike Preece" <michael_at_preece.net> wrote in message news:1b0b566c.0310161512.7cd36678_at_posting.google.com...
> OK. Now turn it around and insert a layer. Call a business rules
> module that in turn accesses the database (which can also have
> business rules in the form of triggers and bridge correlatives etc).
> If I want the cost and price for 20 widgets with sub-assemblies I
> simply call a business rule module telling it what I want. No need to
> directly access the database.

This will work if:

  1. It works with all necessary application languages
  2. There's no way for applications to sneak past it
  3. You can still do any necessary ad-hoc queries

The cost is that an application programmer now needs to learn your API, as well as the schema.

Marshall Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 11:10:13 CEST

Original text of this message