Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:26:58 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:W46dnf4tbfF1DwiiU-KYgw_at_golden.net...

> All physical structures will bias performance for some operations and
> against others.

This strikes me as a succinct statement of the value of data independence. One has the option (but not the requirement) to adjust the physical structures the DBMS uses while keeping the logical model (and therefor all application code and queries, etc.) unchanged.

Unless one has data independence, one does not have this option; one will be locked into a particular performance model. This is why I found the MV guy's obvious pleasure at being able to precisely describe the performance model for his DB as odd: I thought it a deficit to be able to say what it was; he thought it an asset.

Marshall

PS. This is nothing you don't know, Bob; just a comment for the group. Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 10:26:58 CEST

Original text of this message