Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:03:36 -0400

"Patrick Payne" <patrickpayne_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b6da8ff0.0310221503.409b3d6_at_posting.google.com...
> A database's primary job is the ability to store data and allow users
> to quickly/easily query that data.

Your first sentence reveals profound confusion regarding the nature of a database and the difference between a database and a dbms.

A database's only job is to be a set of truth statements. Manipulation is a dbms function as is security, integrity etc. Pick/AQL fails at the manipulation function among others.

> If pick could not do this, I would
> agree with some of the detractors comments.

I can drive a screw with a hammer and a nail with a wrench. Are you suggesting that makes a hammer the ideal tool for driving screws and wrenches the ideal tools for driving nails?

> But pick is plenty able
> to do this.

We have already established simple queries that AQL is completely unable to express.

[remainder of nonsense snipped to save time] Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 02:03:36 CEST

Original text of this message