Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: cmurthi <xyzcmurthi_at_quest.with.a.w.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:48:57 -0400

Mikito Harakiri wrote:>
> Yes, I certainly can learn something that might shatter my believe in
> worthlessness of Pick databases. But let's get the priorities straight: I'm
> not going to spend any time learning Pick database in a foreseeable future.
> The world is full of cranks, and studying all the crazy theories and
> listening to all the noise on the usenet is simply a wrong strategy.
> Therefore, my judgement is reduced to just a belief, but that's the best one
> can do.

Amusing as this thread has been, I'm still astounded at the sheer arrogance and close-mindedness of the posters on the relational side (Paul exempted.) Read the above response! We're not, after all, talking world-shattering events or arcane scientific mumbo-jumbo here---it's about storing data, for Christ's sake. Lighten up, Mikito, Costin, et al! Not one of you is on the road to a Nobel with your math and your pseudo-scientific proofs. Labeling those who are trying to explain [why, why?] the internals of an extremely successful, simple, time-tested, useful data storage "mechanism" [I won't even use "database" if it's offensive to you purists] engenders this abuse, arrogance and vilification. Methinks the ladies protest too much.

Chandru Murthi Received on Thu Oct 23 2003 - 01:48:57 CEST

Original text of this message