Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Craig Bennett <craig_at_cross.net.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:42:57 +1000

>The basis in facts are very simple: Nested Relations offer no extra
>expressive power, and plenty of complications.
I agree they add no expressive power: converting a 3NF to a 1NF structure will give you the same expressive power. Could you expand on your "plenty of complications".

The pick model allows the "clustering of precomputed joins" by the programmer. And modern variants (like UniVerse which is the one I work on). Allow you to use SQL queries against this clustered and precomputed data (it can also use other pick style languages and methodologies but that is beside this point).

UniVerse also allows you to apply strict typing to columns as per SQL 92 (although this is an extension of Pick)..

>It is you who should give me a good reference -- not marketing idiocies
>about how "joins are difficult to compute" --, that you consider
>relevant for showing the difference. And we'll see.
Perhaps Mike mean't that joins can be *EXPENSIVE* rather than difficult to compute.

Craig Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 05:42:57 CEST

Original text of this message