Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Homer L. Hazel <homerlhANTI_at_SPAMcox.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:28:07 -0700

Greetings,

I've basically got just one comment inserted inline below

"Costin Cozianu" <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bn3nbs$seug1$1_at_ID-152540.news.uni-berlin.de...
> > It's late and I no idea whether these are known to anyone or everyone,
> > but I remember this, commissioned by Unidata, now an IBM db: maybe it's
<snip>
> Look guys, rightly or wrongly it is *you* that have a very practical
> problem in the market place. You'll have more credence when SAP or
> PeopleSoft will run on Pick DB.Not that they have great database designs
> according to relational theory, they don't, but if you want to be judged
> by practical standards you're way behind any major commercial SQL
database.

I have a client that had a D3/AIX system that they upgraded to the latest D3/NT 7. whatever. We played with it for two weeks to make sure we had identified all of the differences. I was there only one or two days each week. They have a very competent Pick person on staff who did a file-save on Friday night - came in on Saturday morning and restored the data onto the D3/NT computer and processed whatever upgrades we had decided were necessary. No data was lost, users were not inconvenienced and the only way they knew they were on new silicon was the greatly increased speed of all their processes.

This client also has Peoplesoft for financials. I think it's version 7.4. Their
vendor has decided not to support version 7.4 anymore. My client has decided to upgrade to the latest version (8.0 I think) and they have planned a 1 year upgrade to allow for all of the changes and customizations they made.

Please note that I said 1 year. As in 52 weeks, and they are not making any improvements to their software. It's just the absolute minimum amount of time
they need to make the conversion. And they have two 4/5 time (every day but Friday) Peoplesoft consultants working on the conversion.

Now - I don't care what anybody else thinks, but I don't think I want something
that obtuse ever running on any flavor of Pick!

Larry Hazel Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 04:28:07 CEST

Original text of this message