Re: Optimizing Queries in OODBs (was: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL)

From: Patrick K. O'Brien <pobrien_at_orbtech.com>
Date: 11 Oct 2003 10:29:30 -0500

alfredo_at_ncs.es (Alfredo Novoa) writes:

> pobrien_at_orbtech.com (Patrick K. O'Brien) wrote in message news:<m2he2hdjnw.fsf_at_orbtech.com>...
>
> > As for optimization, that isn't quite as much of an issue, as
> > PyPerSyst is an in-memory database, which means that all objects
> > reside in RAM.
>
> What nonsense! Optimization is independent to where data
> reside. There are main memory SQL DBMSes with optimizers.

What I probably should have said is that optimization is not my top priority at the moment. RAM is much faster than disk, which is much faster than tape. So the need to optimize or not is definitely dependent on where the data resides. I never meant to imply that main memory databases *couldn't* be optimized.

P.S. You might want to switch to decaf. ;-)

P.P.S. I'm glad your house is not made of glass. On the other hand, you might want to get out a bit more. Life without windows must be very confining. :-)

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien