Re: Optimizing Queries in OODBs (was: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL)

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:13:27 -0700

"Paul G. Brown" <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:57da7b56.0310101405.37bcab79_at_posting.google.com...
> Which bit of object relational drew your ire?
>
> Extensible domains adds some complexity, but it also simplifies some
> stuff. Queries over UDTs/UDFs works pretty good in Postgres. Check out
the
> Sequoia 2000 and Bucky benchmarks.
>
> References and table inheritance make a lot harder.

Yes, I meant References, Nested Collections, and other redundancies, not User Defined Types (although, the latter are not a total success either). Recently spatial folks shifted their focus to topologies, so they use a respectable method, unlike those "Everything is object" dummies. Received on Sat Oct 11 2003 - 01:13:27 CEST

Original text of this message