Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:57:42 +0100

In article <bm4sa8$bi4iq$1_at_ID-152540.news.uni-berlin.de>, Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> writes
>> select --+leading(d) use_nl(e) index(e deptref_ix)
>> E.Name FROM Emp E, Dept D
>> WHERE E.Deptref = REF(d) AND D.Name = 'shoe';
>>
>> did follow the access path that I wanted to. Of course, it still remains to
>> see the more challenging task solved with the hints removed.
>>
>> It is optimizer that is always a problem:-)
>>

>Well, I'd be least concerned about the optimizer. If you're using Oracle , I'd
>lookup the documentation for the cute name
>
> IS_DANGLING
>
>Cool stuff.

I'd just use a database that doesn't NEED an optimiser :-)

Cheers,
Wol

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett