Re: PlayDB, PlayQL, PlayDBMS

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 10 Oct 2003 03:36:18 GMT

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, seunosewa_at_inaira.com (Seun Osewa) wrote:
> I started a new thread and waited in vain for google to allow me to
> post follow-ups to the first post, so I am putting the follow-ups here
> temporarily. Pls review and try to reply to the other thread titled
> PlayDB. Thanks.

This is NOT something where it is likely that structure can emerge out of the chaos of a series of Usenet postings.

Designing a model for data access is a matter that requires an enormous amount of thought and reflection, and mandates having a clear crystal of an idea. Crystals need to be left undisturbed until they have grown to size; that is doubtless true here.

The "committee" approach is what led to the characteristic _problems_ of SQL, where competing agendas assortedly led to:

  1. Necessary features being left out because they couldn't agree on them [SQL '99 finally got around to having the notion of 'sequences']
  2. Stuff getting forced in on the basis of political pressure.

Your "chance" of coming up with a design depends on carefully defining a design, and presenting it coherently. But the chaos of Usenet is unlikely to be the right place for that.

--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('_at_'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/unix.html