Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Seun Osewa <seunosewa_at_inaira.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2003 12:00:14 -0700

Lee Fesperman <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<3F851E77.161C_at_ix.netcom.com>... -> Pointers add nothing but complexity. So there's no choice at all.

> Perhaps, you'll come around since your file-name pointer argument didn't hold water. A
> data model that supports references to external entities (like files) not under its
> control is hopelessly flawed.

I would like to know how in a relational database column linked to a "meaningless" primary key in another table is different from a logical pointer. Obviously I cannot change the primary key without changing all rows that reference that key and if constraints in a relational database can solve this problem I do not see why the same cannot be done in an Object Oriented database. Am I still missing something?

Seun Osewa Received on Thu Oct 09 2003 - 21:00:14 CEST

Original text of this message