Re: Identifying transitive dependencies

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_pandora.be.REMOVE.THIS>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:10:13 +0200

David wrote:

> I've first tried to find the functional dependencies (they may or may not be
> correct)
>
> * StudId -> Name
> * (StudId, CourseCode) -> Name, CourseDesc, Lecturer, Grade, Office
> * CourseCode -> CourseDesc, Lecturer, Office
> * CourseDesc -> CourseCode, Lecturer, Office
> * Lecturer -> CourseCode, CourseDesc, Office

As Alan already pointed out, it is a bit unlikely that every lecturere gives at most one course. Your list is also a bit redundant, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

> I then thought that (StudId, CourseCode) -> Office, CourseDesc, Lecturer
> might be a transitive dependency within student. Is it?

In order to know that you have to determine if (StudId, CourseCode) is a candidate key or not. (They did give you definition of what a transitive dependency is, didn't they?) Is it?

  • Jan Hidders