Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2003 12:47:44 -0700

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:<m3lls1vzfc.fsf_at_wolfe.cbbrowne.com>...

> I think an implementor would be better off using an SQL database
> underneath, and using their code layer in between to accomplish the
> "divorce" from the aspects of SQL that they disapprove of.

That is, in fact, the approach taken in a product called Dataphor (see www.alphora.com). They have implemented a "D"-language (called D4) that translates into SQL and hence uses underlying SQLServer, Oracle or DB2- DBMS'es as the engine.

It is, however, not a very easy mapping to do and you have to resort to all sorts of unclean stuff to make it work...

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Sun Oct 05 2003 - 21:47:44 CEST

Original text of this message