Re: SQL Implementation

From: --CELKO-- <joe.celko_at_northface.edu>
Date: 1 Oct 2003 10:46:26 -0700

>> How well do todays databases implement SQL99? I dont think any are
certified. Will they be? <<

The FIPS-127 Certification program that was administered by NIST was closed down by Clinton years ago. But nobody has a great desire to use the SQL-99 specs as more than a guide for syntax when they add a new feature.

The language got way out of hand when it was internally known in NCITS H2 (nee ANSI X3H2) as SQL3. We have about 100 contractions, three different object models, etc. The final results were better, but still a nightmare of non-relational features globbed together. The U.S. government refers to it as "a standard in progress", then asks for SQL-92 conformance in its bids.

Remember PL/I? Algol-68? ADA? Received on Wed Oct 01 2003 - 19:46:26 CEST

Original text of this message