Re: SQL Implementation

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 30 Sep 2003 21:13:08 GMT

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>wrote:
> How well do todays databases implement SQL99? I dont think any are
> certified. Will they be?

Who would do the "certification?" The relevant standards are from ANSI and ISO; all that generally takes place is for vendors to _claim_ to be compliant with some part or another of the standards.

NIST used to be involved in certifying this, but their testing and certification program was dropped back in the mid-'90s.

By and large, what seems to happen is that makers of databases that are "wishful" for higher standing try to conform to the standards. Those that already consider their products to be popular egregiously create features that break the standards because they know you'll use their products irrespective of standards conformance.

--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sgml.html