Nested Sets and a typical Extranet Example

From: rivers <member38170_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 17:01:55 -0400

I'm developing an extranet which will contain multiple groups. I would like the ability to have groups within groups...Let me start by saying that I'm developing this in ASP using MS SQL 2K.

This will allow me to segragate my content and modules based on regional groups or functions within groups (at least I think!).

I've looked at both the adjacency model and nested sets. It seems to me from all the chatter that nested sets would be best. Unlike most people here in these discussions I would like to change the data from time to time and move groups around changing the structure of the tree.

Since I'm relatively new to this concept and still don't fully grasp the concept of LEFT and RIGHT values how do a web programmer implement this. I understand how to call and pass values to stored procedures from within my ASP page but what am I to push or pull?

I've only seen examples of where you have a table or predefined itemized list to start with. I would like to start blank with only the root group. I would then build the front end which would allow new groups (parents and children) to be added.

I have yet to see a fully working example of this skeleton framework that is easily ported over and customized. Does one exists? Do you have to start with ALL your groups (parents and children) defined initially?

Another question I have is what about the other typical maintenance issues of editing the group hierarchy i.e. add|edit|deleting nodes. How is this accomplised? I assume by calling a stored procedure but what needs to be passed?

I really enjoyed reading these posts and to have Mr. Celko here responding is something else!

Any help would be appreciated, suggestions or otherwise for how to implement this in a web scripting application such as ASP.

BTW: I'm developing this in ASP + MS SQL

Cheers

Rob